Friday, August 15, 2008

Air Travel

I’ve been travelling a lot lately and last week has truly been fun filled. I travelled down south to meet a very close friend of mine.

I reached the airport in the early hours of Saturday and all the newspapers were screaming that the health minister wanted to make homosexuality legal. I had just finished my security check and the way one is frisked these days I thought homosexuality was already legal in this country!

It just struck me that on numerous occasions this minister had been at loggerheads with a leading film star about his on-screen smoking. The star has recently announced that he would give up smoking. A conspiracy theory came to mind….is it possible these two have some kind of a secret deal? One agrees to give up smoking in return for homosexuality being made legal? You know what I am talking about right?

My flight took off a few hours after the scheduled time and people seemed so famished that even airline food was welcome. The one thing I love about airline crew is their ability to use the limited space they get to move and serve. Ever noticed how skillfully they get the food out of the galley and load them back when they clear your tray table? I suppose being slim is a professional requirement and these people are perfectly suited to live the ‘match box home’ city life.

If you cannot control your urge to eat sweets you must taste the dessert they serve on flights. It is sure to put you off sweets for a few weeks at least. The one thing I like though about airline food is the after mint. Airline catering is run by smart people… the food is invariably lousy but the after mint is always so nice that it hardly ever leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Compare this with those fancy restaurants on the ground where food can be fantastic but when it comes to after food mouth fresheners they are the worst.

Since I am on the subject of airlines I must say how pissed off I was that my late night return flight was delayed by over two hours without any announcement. Instead of calling it JetLite I think they should rename it to JetLate. The one thing that hasn’t changed in a long time is the in flight security procedure announcement and the effect it has on passengers. The moment they hear the words “ …krupaya hamare karmachari par dyaan de..” most men take it as a license to start ogling at the airhostesses. Shame on all you men…cant you find someone better to stare at? Airhostesses these days look so terrible. Even the item-airline Kingfisher seems to be having problems getting quality staff!

At the airport I also overheard people discussing the pathetic performance of our cricketers in Sri Lanka. I’m hardly surprised. Senior players who should be retiring shamelessly continue to be in the team and young players who should be playing are resting. The one thing you cannot blame them for is consistency. We have been consistently losing all the crunch games.

On the positive side we had some heart warming news as well…he’s young, he’s talented and he’s handsome too…no he’s not superman..he’s Abhinav Bindra…on second thoughts though I think it won’t be wrong to call him our sports superman of the year! He’s the shooter but it will be the pretty girls who will be gunning for him now:)

Independence day and Rakhi…we have two wonderful days to celebrate and for a change I saw one of the cutest Rakhi ads I’ve ever seen. It’s the Vodaphone ad.on TV. It’s perfectly executed and the bro and sis in the ad couldn’t have acted any better. Don’t miss it.

3 comments:

Brinda said...

Hey... hope kerala is treating u well... after an eventful flight you've had. So what's it's going to be next?? "Meet the Mani's"...

Unknown said...

Is there any difference between the announcements at the airport or at the railway stations? they need to train the announcers in voice modulation.may be hamara zamaane mey to nahi hoga

Anubhooti said...

Hilarious post! Kya aapka optician aapko special 'humour lenses' fit karke deta hai? :)